Monday, January 16, 2006

Discerning Reader

Beautiful in God's Eyes a book on The Treasures of the Proverbs 31 Woman by Elizabeth George. I am currently reading this book for my Ladies Bible class. I have not heard of George before and know nothing about her. I have read the intro and the beginning of the first chapter and it looks good thus far, which is not far. I am hoping to find some truth and deep things through her thoughts on the Proverbs 31 woman. I am not interested in a feel good book that does not speak the hard truths of scripture. I enjoy well expressed "pretty" thoughts but so long as they are not all to surface and shallow. I do not want to give my time and energy to this book and leave it feeling as empty for truth as when I entered it.

I have learned that when delving into any book I must guard myself and be discerning. Prayfully opening its pages and soaking in only the well expressed "pretty” thoughts that are in sync with the words of God.

It is easy to be deceived through words in a book. A lot of times I think if the book we are reading is recommended by highly respected persons we know and has to do with a scriptural topic we assume that all that lies inside is truth and good for our spiritual nourishment. I found this to be very dangerous thinking. As with everything we do, from watching TV to thinking secretly, we must decipher between the clean and the unclean.

I have been asked to help lead this Ladies Bible class and if you knew me you would know that this has me trembling with fear. Leave me a comment if you have read any of Elizabeth George's books...............I would love to hear what you have to say about this author.

In His Love
Keli

1 comment:

Robin said...

I have been to a couple of Women's Conferences where Elizabeth George has been the speaker. I think she has a wonderful way of speaking God's truth to women.

I have read quite a few of her books and done some of her Bible Studies. I don't recall every having "that feeling" when I was studying with her. Our Women's Ministry has used her books many times.

I've been disappointed lately that she has taken to writing a book and a study guide which generates 2 purchases - although the study guides aren't necessary.

I especially liked her "Loving God With All Your Mind".