Thursday, January 26, 2006

Crock-pot recipe

Lemon Herbed Roasted Chicken

3-4 pound fryer or roasting chicken
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
juice of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon leaf thyme
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Rinse chicken well and pat dry; remove any excess fat. Place onion in the cavity of the chicken and rub the skin with butter or margarine. Place chicken in Crock-pot. Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the chiken and sprinkle with remaining seasonings. Cover and cook on Low 8-10 hours or on High 4-5 hours.

My chicken is in the Crock-pot right now. I am hoping for good results. Sounds good anyway, I will come back with a review on this recipe. I am serving it with rice and an undecided vegetable.

Update on the undecided vegetable, I have decided to make Sauteed Squash. This will be my first time to make it myself. I am trying hard to transform my cooking to be more healthy. I have not been cooking with vegetables for 5 years other than peas and corn from the can, and broccoli on special occasions. Sad isn't it. My husband loves vegetables and I don't but I want my children to love them so I need to expose them to them in their early years. I am going to be posting my new recipes in this journey of healthy cooking for my family.

Sauteed Squash

6 medium summer squash, sliced
1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, sliced thinly or diced
salt & pepper

4 servings
30 minutes

Melt butter in large skillet.
1.Add onion and cook just till tender.
2.Add yellow squash and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring until squash begins to soften.
3.Cover and continue cooking over low heat until nice and tender (usually about 20-25 minutes).
4.I add lots of salt and pepper.

I am going to add some garlic powder to it too.

1 comment:

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Wow, that chicken sounds great! Next time I get a whole chicken I'll have to try it. I LOVE my crockpot. I actually have two of them. I often cook a main dish thing in one, and a side dish in another. Or today's crockpot goes in the dishwasher, and tomorrow's gets made and put in the fridge for tomorrow's meal. I don't know what I would have done without my crockpot when I worked outside the home or when I was a graduate student. And if I am ever blessed with children, I'm sure it will become even more valuable.