Saturday, April 22, 2006

T-Rex is getting ready to turn 2 in June. I can not believe that he will be 2 years old! He is growing up so fast, to fast. He is beginning to talk in sentences and on Tuesday he decided to sleep in the bottom bunk so we have taken his baby bed down. I can remember the nightmare of a transition it was for Superman to go from the living room palet (don't ask) on the floor with Mama to his own bed. Listen to what I had to do. He had bunk beds a different set from now and at night and at naptimes I would put a movie on for him and then climb into the top bunk and wait until he fell asleep. Now sometimes this would take up to an hour or longer! It was misery and before that and the sleeping on the floor with Mama (again don't ask) we would have to drive him around in the car to get him to go to sleep. I am laughing at myself now as I think back at these terrible methods of settling your kids to sleep. We would at bedtime which was around 9 or 10 back then, keep in mind Superman was I think close to 1 years old, put his pjs on and pack him up in the car and drive for 30min-1hr until he fell asleep and sometimes we would drive for 30 minutes and then when we stopped the car to get out he would wake up so in reverse we went. Why I am telling all of this I don't know. At 3 years old or maybe a little younger we finally had to let him just cry it out and it was a difficult process for me to begin with, listening to him cry for up to an hour each night until he eventually fell asleep.

So I guess we learned our lesson with the bedtime methods and decided that with the next one we would not do what we did before. Some friends of mine used Baby Wise so I decided to give it a chance. I did it with T-Rex and it was very difficult but the end results were amazing for me anyway. Whether or not I will use it again I am not sure. I really missed rocking my baby to sleep sometimes and him crying to sleep each time I layed him down gripped my heart. I think that I will read the book again and chew on what he has to say spitting out what I think is unnecessary for my child and me to have to go through this next time around.

I got way off subject here let me retrack. What I was going to say was just that I am going to begin planning T-rex's Birthday party here pretty soon and I need to be as frugal as possible. The theme is of course Dinosaurs. Today awesomely I found a cake mold of a T-Rex with the directions and all on it for only $2 and then the other day at Target they had a ton of Dinosaur items in their $1 section. I am hoping that these sort of things will keep happening until June 17.

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

1 comment:

Kayla said...

LOL, The things we do for our firstborns, eh?

I have a b-day party coming up on the 29th. You know me and b-day parties! I am so excited. We're doing a James Bond theme!