Friday, April 21, 2006

Last week I purchased a new t-shirt from Target with the name of a band on it that I like. After I bought it and got it home I got to thinking about whether or not I should wear it. On the front of it is the name of the band, Aerosmith, and on the back is the year 1976. My thoughts were is this okay for me to promote as a Christian? If I wear this shirt what is it going to say about me? Of course that I am an Aerosmith fan but what about whether or not I am a Christian or not? Now, I am not saying that Christians can't or shouldn't listen to Aerosmith or any other non Christian group for that matter but should we promote them and wear them?

Is this important to even be thinking about? I don't believe that when we become Christians that we become less of who we are or that we have to give up who we were all together. I believe that some things can be salvaged after they have been sifted through the scriptures. Aerosmith, should I give them up? Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses, Poisen, Warrant, Mariah Carey, Shania Twain...............and many more artists that I enjoy listening to every now and then. Of course the songs from each one are carefully selected and do not offend my conscience in anyway.............and usually I hear them on the radio but I do get an urge to listen to them sometimes mainly because they are a part of my past, a part of me.

Now whether or not I listen to them should I promote them?

Comments....................

1 comment:

Homekeeper Mom said...

I can't say whether we "should" or not............but I think that you and I were twins seperated at birth......I was SOOOOO in love with all of the above mentioned bands, lol! I just knew that I was going to marry one of those guys from one of those bands. Thank goodness that God had other (MUCH MORE wonderful) plans for me.