Thursday, January 04, 2007

Perseverence in the Word

Psalm 1 is beginning to soak into my heart as I daily meditate on it through memorization.
Listen:


How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.
The wicked are not so,
But they are like chaff which the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
For the LORD knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the wicked will perish.


The blessed or happy man finds his delight in the law or instruction of the Lord and he meditates on it morning and night. Delighting in the law of the Lord is more than just thinking about God every now and then it is truly dwelling and meditating on His instruction which is not always easy because His instruction often goes against what we want to do. I don't know about you but I want to be like the blessed man, the tree that is planted by the stream of water, who's leaf does not whither, and in whatever he does will prosper.

Life seems to always get in the way of reading the word, but the thing that I am learning is that if I truly delight in the word then I will find a way to get into it every day whether that means rising early, turning off the tv, turning down long phone call conversations, reading in the car, while cooking dinner, or reading it right before the lights go out. My personal thought for myself is to get up earlier than all my family to get in the word but on some mornings it just seems impossible. I think one thing that has really helped me is to leave a bible conveniently laying in nearly each room that I may dwell in for awhile. I can't seem to help pick it up for even just a moment to get a little bit of honey. I think we have this mindset that we have to read a whole chapter in order for it to count but the word of God does not loose it's power by the amount of it we can read in one setting. Take little bites here and there if you must.....just get in the word of God and also memorize...............hide his word in your heart and it can not get away from you! It will follow you everywhere and you are unable to get it out of you for it has literally become a part of you.

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." Psalm 119:11


In my sidebar right below my profile description I have a Revivie Our Hearts image, click on it to listen to Nancy Leigh DeMoss's radio show. I was amazed yesterday when I read it because of how much I have taken my bible for granted. Here in my home there are at least 10 or more bibles and in some countries there are children of God who are surviving on just a page or two of the bible and their souls are starving for more of His word, you must listen to the testimonies of two women through her show.

JOYfully in Him,

Kelli

No comments: